Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thirst Quenchers


Lassi

This is the unsweetened variety. The sweet one is delicious but does not really quench your thirst on a hot day. This is the type of lassi that my mother made in summer. It would be kept in a big glass jug in the refrigerator. And we would walk into the house and fill up a glass and it kept us from getting dehydrated . However, the buttermilk those days was made by churning the milk, which would be kept in an earthern jug, to which a little curd had been added the previous night. After 8 hours of fermentation, the contents would be churned and the butter that floated to the top would be removed and the healthy skimmed buttermilk that remained would be seasoned or just left plain.


Curd - 2 cups
Water - 2 cups or more
Salt - to taste
Jeera (cumin) - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida (hing) - 1/8 tsp
Green chilli - 1-2 nos
Ginger - 1/8" shredded fine
Corriander leaves

Optional
Mustard - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 4-5

I made a dry paste of the jeera, chillie, ginger and added it to the curd.
Add water,asafoetida and salt
And whip in the mixie or blend together
Add finely chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with ice cubes.
Variation:

The chillies, ginger may be diced fine and not ground to a paste. In this case, be prepared to bite into bits of chili and ginger.
To the oil, add mustard and when it splutters add curry leaves and add to the buttermilk.



Another quencher is watermelon juice. I just cut the pieces and blend in a mixie.

Do not add water or sugar.

Strain through not a very fine strainer so as to retain pulp but remove the seeds.

Serve with a dash of lime, mint or chaat masala.

2 comments:

  1. Yes yes dear Radha...that is the exact lassi recipe I was looking for. I am sorry I missed you posting it! Yummers! I know it settles the stomach as well. Interesting cultural differences in food and yet....my very very German father in his upbringing would have a cold buttermilk 'soup' before going to bed often or instead of supper on a hot night after farming chores. It was made with fresh churned buttermilk, a bit of salt, some pepper and cucumber slices...sometimes a sliced boiled egg. Did the same healthy thing for the German stomach too...grin. Oh Radha...I fell in love with lassi the first time I had it and don't have it often enough. Thanks very much for posting this for me. I might just make some for little ol me right now. What exactly is asafoetida (hing) again? I guess I should just google it is there another common name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed this question. Asafoetida is a gum oleoresin. The smell in the raw state is rather unpleasant. It is a digestive aid and is supposed to have anti microbial properties. Only a pinch is used in the lassi and generally this lassi is ideal for dehydration and indigestion.

    ReplyDelete

Some time to spare? Do leave a comment. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails