Sunday, June 28, 2009

Gujarati Kichidi


We had lunch the other day. A Gujarati meal. I particularly liked the Kichidi that was served and tried it at home. It was very good.

Rice - 1/2 cup
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
ginger - 1/2" chopped finely
cinnamon stick - 1"
green chilli - 2 finely chopped
whole black peppercorns - 1/4 tsp
Ghee - leave it to you. ( use wisely)
salt to taste


Wash and soak the rice and dal together for 15 minutes.
Drain.
Heat the ghee in a wok
Add the cumin seeds , brown.
Add the chopped ginger, green chillies, cinnamon, peppercorns, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Fry a while on low heat.
Add the drained rice-dal mixture and salt.
Mix well.
Put in a vessel. Add about 3 cups of water.
Pressure cook.
It should be cooked very soft.
Remove from cooker, mash lightly.
Serve hot topped with a lop of ghee

Ideally served with Kadi.
It could be had with pickle, raitha, papad.

4 comments:

  1. Was going to have urad dal for supper but I have never had Kichidi. Or at least never made it myself. I wonder...will I like it? I like my curry dal very runny so I can use great pieces of naan to help me 'slurp' it up. Does kichidi turn out being quite 'thick' because of the rice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally the quantity of water to rice is 2:1 for the normal cooked rice. But for kichidi you need to add a little more water. This makes it extra 'mushy' and not solid - and is easy to consume. It is food that is also permitted for a person who is convalescing - and the cereal and pulse combination makes it a perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So............ I want you to be proud of me. I dug up my MIL's recipe for Kichidi or Masoor Khichadi which is how she spells it. I also made Khadhi which she serves with it but did not make naan...another time! Grin. Oh my gosh....I am in Love!!! I have all these recipes I make which she taught me but just never went to these ... I thot..oh, just another rice dish. Nope...it is delish. And the Khadhi...so spicy nice with buttermilk etc. I will post it soon... Thanks for giving me the idea to pursue this. It is our Canada Day supper...that and a frozen mango/peach slice I made. We will celebrate my Husband's roots this special day! Again...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Great! Will wait for the results on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Some time to spare? Do leave a comment. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails