Monday, October 28, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls

I 'knead' to work a little more on these rolls.  I thought I would perhaps wait till I got the texture right.  But they were so tasty, I had to put up the post so that the recipe is on record.  I would have made another batch immediately but the thought of all those extra calories put me off for a while. At least for a few days.


The recipe is from The Fresh Loaf .  I reproduce it here. I made half the recipe and got about 6 big and 2 small rolls. If you are used to grams - just convert it - 1 oz is roughly 28 gms.  Luckily for me - S - gave me a scale on which I can weigh items in different units

Dough:
16 oz all-purpose flour
10 oz warm milk
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt


Filling:
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup choppped walnuts or pecans ( I used almonds )

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice


Make the dough by combining all of the ingredients and kneading until smooth, 5 to 10 minutes. ( I didn't do this as much. So make sure you do..)
The dough should be smooth and not sticky. Add a little flour if too moist. Place in a bowl and cover  and keep in a warm place for an hour.  The dough should double in size
Plump up the raisins by soaking in some hot water and drain ( optional ) but it is nice if you do it. The raisins remain soft even after baking.
Prepare the filling and keep. I used softened butter, cinnamon powder and sugar and mixed it together as suggested, but you can do it separately too. 
After an hour, take the dough that has risen, roll it out on a floured surface into a rectangle. 
Spread the filling on the rolled out dough and then take the sides of the rectangle and roll it up.

Cut into two portions.  And do it once again till you have equal cut portions of the rolls.

Lightly grease a baking tray.  Place the rolls on them leaving a bit of space since they will expand. 
Cover and let the buns rise for another 45 minutes till they are roughly double the size again.
Preheat the oven to 190 C when the rolls are rising.  Place tray in the oven.  Put it in the upper part. Since there is a sugar filling the bottom of the roll can brown very quickly.  So keep an eye on the rolls. They get done in 20 mins or so.
Cover the pan and let the buns rise for another 45 minutes to an hour until they've roughly doubled in size
I did not apply the glaze since the buns were sweet enough. It would have made the rolls look pretty.

 But if you want to glaze them, let the rolls cool for 20 minutes or so before glazing them. The glaze will thicken as it cools, but if it is extremely runny feel free to add some additional powdered sugar to thicken it up

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Radha, they look so good! I am drooling all over :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My all time favourite cinnamon rolls..Love it to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious you a right, little more kneading helps smooths surface. yumm.

    ReplyDelete

Some time to spare? Do leave a comment. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails