Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Crisp bitter gourd (Karela ) fries

This is from Rak's Kitchen.  If you like bitter gourd make it immediately.  And even if you do not like it , make the crisps, you will like it! I almost had nothing left to photograph.

Ingredients


Bitter gourd - 2 nos
Rice flour - 3 tbsp
Corn flour - 1 tbsp
Chilie powder -  1/2 -1 tsp
Chaat masala - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp ( optional) - not really necessary at all
Oil for deep frying.

Chop off the ends of the bitter gourd and cut into thin circular pieces.
Mix all the dry ingredients together
Add the bitter gourd pieces to it and mix well.
Sprinkle water just so that the dry mixture binds to the pieces.

In the meantime heat the oil
Add the coated pieces in the oil.  Fry till crisp
Place on tissue paper to remove excess oil
If the coating is not too wet, the pieces do not absorb too much oil, though some powder will remain in the oil.  So take a small pan and use just enough to deep fry.

Crisp karela fry is ready!  You can even eat it plain. There were a couple of seeds that got coated and fried. They were tasty too!

19 comments:

  1. Awesome, nicely done, even I saw her post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! you tried what she posted a few days ago. You are tempting me to try this one, for I really am not a big fan of karela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband would love this...I do not like bitter gourd, he loves it...I keep promising to make him some one of these days...lets see what I finally do that...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! I just love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never added chat masala to fry bitter gourd....this looks yum....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Radha.
    I also started my blog for my daughter like you did :)
    you have a lovely blog and collection of delicious recipes.
    Anjana

    ReplyDelete
  7. @All - If you do not like Karela, try this recipe.
    @Anonymous - is your blog private? Otherwise do give the link. This blog has now become a recipe book for me too. I mean so many new recipes put up everyday by so many people - I would never remember them if I did not record it here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks really delicious n very new also....loved it....
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks really delicious n very new also....loved it....
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
  10. this looks wonderful deliciously done

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the recipe radha, I used to buy them from a sweet shop when I was in India

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi you a have made yourself a great page here. love these fries. healthy and crunchy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love bitter gourd and this looks perfectly done and so tempting..must try this.

    ReplyDelete

Some time to spare? Do leave a comment. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails