Saturday, November 26, 2011

Hung Curd Desi Tiramisu

I saw this recipe on many of the websites. And since I did not know where to get mascarpone, I decided to try the hung curd recipe. It was not bad.  While I could have devoured a trifle pudding of this serving size, I somehow had to finish this dessert in two sittings!  And that if you know me is very surprising!

Tiramisu - is actually an Italian dessert that literally means 'pick me up'  And it has eggs, some liquor  - so this one here is really a desi eggless version.


Ingredients:

Sponge Cake - 1 small
Custard Powder - Vanilla flavoured - 4-5 tbsp
Milk - 1 1/2 glass or roughly 350 ml
Sugar - 6-7  tbsp
Hung curd - 4 tbsp
Instant coffee powder - 1 tbsp
Cream - 3 tbsp


Take about 100 gms of curd, put in a muslin cloth and allow the water to drain out
You can do this by keeping it in the fridge for about 2 hours
The curd that you use should not be sour. 

Slice the cake - I used a readymade sliced Brittania cake

Make the custard with the vanilla powder as per directions on the pack. Let it be slightly thick
Allow to cool.
Add the hung curd to the cooled vanilla custard.
Mix well

I also added a little sugar to the beaten cream ( since I did not get whipped cream)

Make a coffee decoction by dissolving the coffee powder in about 1/4 tbsp of water.  Check to see the strength of the mixture. If it is too strong, you can reduce the quantity to be used

Now to assemble the desert. Take a suitable glass

Layer - 1
Dip the cake in the coffee solution briefly 
And place at the bottom of the glass
Or since I found the coffee decoction a little too strong, I placed the cake slice in the glass and then drizzled the coffee lightly on it.
Layer - 2 
Then a layer of the custard-hung curd mixture
Layer - 3
And a layer of cream

Repeat 1-2-3 till you fill the glass
Grate a little chocolate on the top - you can sprinkle some coffee powder through a sieve if you like
And then chill for about 2 hours so that it sets well before serving.

Midway through the dessert -when I had my fill -  I could see the layers clearly like this




No comments:

Post a Comment

Some time to spare? Do leave a comment. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails