Sunday, October 30, 2011

Kulcha

 We had an amazing Kulcha and Channa dish in a food court at a mall.  It has been some time since I experimented something new in my kitchen.  I googled for a recipe.  Strangely each one had a different approach.  I was not totally convinced about the use of yeast, soda and baking powder together in a recipe.  Anyway here is what I ultimately did

Ingredients:
Refined wheat flour ( Maida) - 3 cups
Dry yeast - I had a 5g packet
Sugar - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Curd - 3 tbsp
Cooking soda - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tsps

Preparing the yeast mixture
In a cup of warm water, add a tsp of sugar and the yeast and keep aside, it will bubble a bit which is an indication that the yeast is working.  Keep for about 15- 20 minutes

In the meantime, sift the flour.
Add salt, 1 tsp sugar, oil, curd, soda
Make a well in the centre and slowly add the prepared yeast mixture and fold in
Bring the flour together to a slightly moist but firm dough
Keep aside covered, or enclose in a damp cloth for about 3-5 hours
The dough will rise to more than double.
I did press the dough in between and kept it aside again to let it rise again.

Take portions of dough ( lime sized) and dust the surface with flour and roll out a thick round bread.
Press in whatever you wish as garnish - for a few I put in sesame seeds and kasuri methi and some I left plain

Roast in a pan with a little butter, ghee or oil ( whatever you can eat without guilt)


I also made some channa with the kulcha.  I got a pat on my back for both!  La, I wished you had stayed back another day!


2 comments:

Some time to spare? Do leave a comment. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails